The Edge of Imagination Station is great for single or multi-day workshops, team building or family day activities, and is a fun addition to any indoor or outdoor event!
The Edge of Imagination Station creates a dynamic learning experience that is customizable to any lesson or topic. The software is designed to be user friendly and is great for people of all ages, skill levels, and abilities. It is operated using symbols instead of text and with proper accommodation, anyone can create with it.
Length: A minimum of three hours is necessary for an event. Workshops that include storyboard production and set/character design can be formatted to fit a full day or extend over multiple visits and vary depending on group size. Pre-production files are available so that you can work with your students to prepare beforehand. I can also visit once to get the project started and then return for production day(s) when ready.
Recommended group size: The Station can serve small groups for private engagements, or the masses associated with larger events.
Recommended ages: Students as young as 5 can successfully interact with the software. Students ages 7 and up can develop and tell stories. Older students and adults can develop more technical skills and better support their ideas.
Important: Time allowed and age range is considered in the formatting of the program so mixing of age groups is discouraged in cases other than family day activities.
Number of programs: This is very flexible and depends on the situation. Multiple groups can be served in a day and/or over multiple visits.
Location: Libraries, cafeterias, auditoriums, classrooms or other crafted learning environments are workable spaces. Outdoor setups are possible if they are covered for protection from weather and light. Bright, direct light can cause overexposure of the images.
Tech needs: All of the necessary equipment is provided, all that is needed is an electrical outlet. Additional projectors/media carts, and screens can be incorporated if available.
A guided workshop typically includes:
- Brainstorming session, examples, and demos
- Research – The Station can be used in any subject to tell a story or explain facts/processes
- Literacy skills – Story/Storyboard writing and reading for narration
- Math skills – conversion of timed scenes into frames per second
- Creating sets, props, and characters
- Audio/video production
Pricing depends on a number of variables.
- Includes group discussions, pre-production/planning, set up, use, breakdown of equipment, and post-production of the work created.
- Pricing starts at $500 for a half day (3 hours) for public performance and school related events.
- Weekly rates are available upon request.
- $75 – $120 per night
- This can be paid by The Edge of Imagination Station or by your organization
- Mid-level accommodations, such as Best Western, or Holiday Inn, are preferred.
- If the distance to travel is more than five hours, lodging for the night before AND after may be required
- Mileage is figured using the current rate, which is 53.5/mi. Distance is figured with a starting point near downtown Austin.
- Reimbursement for meals is not required, however lunch is greatly appreciated
Save up to 50% with artist grants
Grants from the Texas Commission on the Arts could cover up to 50% of The Edge of Imagination Station’s total fee!
“Arts Respond Performance Support Grants” provide support to nonprofit organizations in Texas interested in booking Johnny and other artists from the TCA Touring Artist Roster. Here are a few facts you need to know:
- Applications are funded on a sliding scale (typically 25-50%) of contracted fees. Support is based on TCA’s available funds.
- Maximum award is 50% of the total fee, including all expenses.
- The greatest awards typically go to groups in rural and/or socio-economically disadvantaged areas. Special programs are available for groups in the Rio Grande Valley, Midland/Odessa & El Paso areas.
- May 1 for performances between June 15-Aug. 31
- August 1 for performances occurring Sept. 1-Dec. 14
How to apply for a grant:
If your organization doesn’t have one already, you’ll need to get a user ID for the TCA website and online grant applications at http://www.arts.texas.gov/grants/sign-up/. You will need to provide your organization’s federal tax ID #, proof of non-profit status and a few other pieces of information.
Once you have your user ID and password, sign in and get started here.
PLEASE NOTE: If you’re wanting to hire a performer, YOU are the PRESENTER. The person presenting the program is called the ARTIST (that’s Johnny/The Edge of Imagination Station). This confuses nearly everyone when they first look into arts grants!